The Emergency Preparedness program combines the efforts of all aspects of Public Health Preparedness. It is the purpose of this department to help prepare the general public, our agency, and community partners for public health emergencies. To contact the coordinator, Jennifer Zordan, click here.
All Hazard Planning
The health department is planning for all types of emergencies. Public Health Emergencies consist of :
- Disease Outbreaks (i.e. Chickenpox and TB)
- Food-borne illness (i.e. Noro-virus and Salmonella)
- Bioterrorism (i.e. Pneumonic Plague or Smallpox)
- Weather Emergencies (i.e. extreme heat or cold w/power outages)
Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC)
- The health department helps to plan for the coordinated response with first responding agencies to extremely hazardous materials accidents. Hazardous materials spills can occur in a factory or business place, on the roads as a result of a transportation accident, or on a farm during pesticide application.
- For more information on the Van Buren County LEPC, contact the local Office of Domestic Preparedness at 269-657-7786 or in Cass County contact the Emergency Management Director, David Smith at 269-445-1460.
5th District Medical Response Coalition
- The 5th District Medical Response Coalition is a group of agencies joined together to ensure a coordinated medical response in the event of an emergency. This coalition consists of over 80 members from Emergency Management, Hospitals, EMS, Public Health and other Public Service Agencies such as the Red Cross and Community Mental Health. For more information on the coalition visit www.5dmrc.org.