Rabies: A Forgotten Killer – Greatest Risk from Wildlife, Especially Bats
Avoid Wildlife. Vaccinate Pets. Stay Informed
- Every 10 minutes, someone in the US is treated for possible exposure to rabies.
- About 5,000 animals – mostly wildlife – test positive for rabies each year in the US.
- 7 out of 10 Americans who die from rabies in the US were infected by bats.
Forms For Providers
The form needed to report Animal Bites can be downloaded here: Animal Bite Form.
Effective 1/1/2019 PEP reporting for Rabies is MANDATORY
FAX completed form to VBCDHD Public Health Nursing & County Animal Control
- Van Buren County Public Health Nursing FAX — 269-621-2725
- Van Buren County Animal Control/Dispatch FAX – 269-657-7207 * NEW # effective 1/2020
- Cass County Public Health Nursing FAX — 269-782-0121
- Cass County Animal Control FAX – 269-445-5018
For questions you may call Public Health Nursing
- Van Buren County — 269-621-3143
- Cass County — 269-782-0064
Human Rabies Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Protocol, click here.
Protocol for dogs, cats, ferrets or livestock possibly exposed to rabies and Rabies Protocol for Mammals which have bitten people or pets, click here.
Vaccine Information Sheet for Rabies in English
Vaccine Information Sheet for Rabies in Spanish