What Are Perfluoroalkyls?
Perfluoroalkyls (PFAs) are a group of man-made chemicals that are not found naturally in the environment. Some chemicals that are in this group PFAs include:
• perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)
• perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (PFOS)
• perfluorononanoic acid (PFNA)
• perfluorohexane sulfonic acid (PFHxS)
• perfluordecanoic acid (PFDeA)
These PFAs were used to protect products like carpet and fabric, and as a coating for paper and cardboard packaging. They can also be found in some fire-fighting foams.
Michigan PFAS Action Response Team (MPART)
Any Resident with questions about the ongoing investigation should contact Van Buren Cass District Health Department at 269-621-3143 or EGLE’s Environmental Assistance Center at 1-800-662-9278.